Diet: Dairy Free, Vegan, Gluten-Free, Vegetarian
This pesto is a great addition to roasted vegetables, used in place of mayonnaise on sandwiches, or as a dip.
- 1 cup raw pumpkin seeds, hulled and toasted
- ½ cup flat-leaf parsley, fresh
- ¼ cup chives, fresh and coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, finely grated
- 2½ cups baby spinach (packed tightly), fresh
- 1 garlic clove
In a small pan over medium heat, add 2 teaspoons olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the pumpkin seeds and heat until they start to smell nutty, puff and change color slightly. This will take about 4 minutes, stir often.
Combine toasted pumpkin seeds, parsley, chives, oil, garlic, salt, black pepper, lemon zest, and baby spinach in a food processor. Pulse until well combined. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.