Peaches are packed with vitamin C and are high in potassium. A summer staple when it comes to preserves and baking, this recipe offers a savory twist. Mixed with beets, peaches are the perfect combination of earthy and sweet flavors for a BBQ sauce base. The lesson to take away from this recipe is that once you have the basic sauce, similar to a ketchup-tomato based sauce, the seasoning can be as simple or complex as you like. Toss in a jalapeño during the mixing process or a few drops of liquid smoke. Add smoked paprika or dry mustard. It is as delicious drizzled on fresh grilled veggies as it is on smoked salmon.
1-2 small beets
2 ripe peaches
1 ripe apricot
1 clove of garlic
1 teaspoon honey
2 Tablespoons molasses
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
½ Tablespoon cider vinegar
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
3-6 crushed pink peppercorns
Salt to taste
- Peel beets and gently remove skins from peach and apricot and discard.
- Grate beet and garlic clove and remove pit peach and apricot.
- Add all of the above to blender or food processor and mix until smooth.
- Mix in honey, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, cider vinegar, and mustard.
- Add spices and salt to your taste.
- Keep refrigerated for up to 1 week.
*A chunkier consistency can be achieved with simply hand mashing the ingredients.